Marijuana is a drug that is made up of the leaves, flowers, and buds of the hemp plant Cannabis sativa. Medical marijuana is the use of this drug to help treat symptoms like pain, nausea, fibromyalgia, IBS, seizures, migraines, lack of appetite and many more.

In Canada, it is against the law to possess, sell, or grow marijuana without legal permission from Health Canada. People who have certain health problems can buy a limited amount of marijuana for their own use, and licensed producers can grow and provide medical marijuana to those who need it.

Possession and use of medical marijuana must be authorized by a doctor as a medical treatment.

Cannabis can be vaporized, made into edibles and oil, or it can be smoked (however, smoking cannabis is not recommended).

You may be affected for hours after you use marijuana. How soon you feel the effects of marijuana and how long it lasts depends on many things, including:

  • How much you used
  • How you took it
  • How your own body responds to it.

Unwanted side effects may include:

  • Dry mouth
  • Red eyes
  • Anxiety or paranoid thoughts
  • Faster heart rate
  • Nausea and vomiting

Synthetic cannabis is made of dried plant material that is treated with chemicals that produce effects like cannabis’s effects.

Health Canada does not recommend the use of these products due to the inaccurate ingredient labeling which may lead to serious side effects, as well as the fact that the chemicals in the final product are made in a lab and may be harmful.

Some people have reported severe side effects of synthetic cannabis, such as:

  • Fast heart rate
  • High blood pressure
  • Vomiting
  • Feeling agitated or confused
  • Feeling like others want to harm them (paranoia), or seeing or hearing things that aren’t there (hallucinations)

You will be able to choose from your choice of approved Licensed Commercial Producers (LCP). Newly approved producers are added as Health Canada approves them. You can find the complete list of licensed producers at the following link:

Each producer will be setting their own pricing. Patients can expect to spend about $7-$12 per gram. Several licensed commercial producers do have compassionate pricing models for patients receiving disability or assistance payments.

On March 31, 2014, all ATPs (and licenses to produce) issued under the MMAR expire and will no longer provide individuals authority to possess marihuana. As of April 1, 2014, the only legal means to access to marihuana for medical purposes will be through licensed producers.

The physician that signs your medical document has the ability to set the validity for any period of time within one year. Our physician here at Greenleaf Medical will on average sign a medical document for one year.

No, there is no limit on what your prescription amount can be. There is however, a limit on how much you can carry with you of 150g. You will be able to order from your LCP more than once a month to fulfill your prescription amount. The physician within the Greenleaf Medical Clinic does not sign prescriptions for over 5 grams per day.

Your proof of authority to possess will either be the label on the packaging or a separate document accompanying the shipment of dried marihuana from the licensed producer. Patients are NOT given I.D cards from the Federal Government.

Each LCP will carry different strains. You will be able to look at all LCP’s and what their products are before choosing to register with one particular LCP.

You may travel with your medication within Canada. You are allowed to carry with you your daily limit x 30 not to exceed 150g.

For air travel it is recommended that you check with the airline. You CANNOT travel outside of Canada with your prescription.

No. Storefront locations are not allowed with the new regulations. All patients will receive their medication by courier only.

In some cases your physician may be able to give you guidance on which strains will work for you with your condition. If you need guidance with choosing a strain that will work for you, the team at medicalmarijuana.ca and Greenleaf Medical Clinic can assist you with which strains will be best for you and your needs. Your licensed producer will be able to give you guidance on which of their strains will work for you, but will be unable to assist you with what other licensed producers are carrying.

Each producer will have their products listed on their website. You will be able to phone them to ask questions in regards to their specific strains. The staff at the Greenleaf Medical Clinic and MedicalMarijuana.ca will be able book a one on one consultation with you to help you with the decision of which producer will be best for you.

Each licensed producer will have their own process and policies on returns. You will need to speak with your licensed producer when you are unhappy with medication.

Unfortunately, your licensed producer is only able to ship to your address that was used for registration. If you will be travelling for longer than the time they are allowed to ship, you must wait until you are back home to make another shipment.

Medication is not currently covered by any Federal, Provincial or private health insurance. The only body who covers the cost of medical marijuana is Veterans Affairs of Canada. You can write off the cost of your medication as a medical expense when doing your taxes with valid receipts.

If you have a serious adverse reaction from your medication, you should seek medical assistance and notify your Licensed Commercial Producer as soon as possible.

You should contact your licensed producer immediately.

Yes, your physician is able to receive medication on your behalf with your physicians’ written consent.

Yes. If you hold a valid license to produce issued under the Marihuana Medical Access Program, you may provide starting materials (plants, seeds or clippings) to a licensed producer. To do so, you must submit an application to Health Canada. If you hold a Designated-Person Production License, the consent of the authorized individual will be required. If you produce for more than one person, you will need to submit this information for each person. Once the application is received, Health Canada will verify the information. If all of the information is valid, a notice will be sent to the license holder, the authorization holder(s) (if applicable) and the licensed producer authorizing the transfer of materials. All Personal-Use Production License or a Designated-Person Production License expire no later than March 31, 2014, so this is the last day this type of transfer may take place.

All excess medication that you have on hand April 1, 2014 must be destroyed.

Licensed producers can only provide dried marihuana. Other forms of marihuana, such as edibles or oils, are not permitted to be sold by licensed producers under the Marihuana for Medical Purposes Regulations.

The common way to spell marijuana is with a “j” – however, the legal name and the way it is used under the MMPR program is with an “h”. You often see the two spellings due to this.

Sign Up For Our Newsletter